Contractuel • Kapuskasing Région
The activation coordinator will employ activation activities to help persons living with dementia during the transition; during the 14 day isolation period; upon entry into a long term care home. Through the use of games, sports, crafts and more, they will support families maintain the persons living with dementias physical and emotional well-being. In doing this, they also help patients integrate into their new residence. The Activation Support person will be a part of the client’s circle of care and will support in:
• Supporting families with the transition into long term care
• Developing an in-house recreation therapy program for clients in order to provide activation
• Provide education for families, staff, and the general public regarding appropriate recreational activities for persons living with dementia
• Evaluate program at specified intervals
· Experience working with persons with dementia and their families.
· Experience designing recreational programs to support individual needs as well as facilitating group activities.
· Knowledge of community health care agencies.
· Current Standard First Aid/CPR certification.
· Ability to work cooperatively with volunteers, staff, and community partners.
· Competency with Microsoft Office applications.
· Valid driver’s license, regular access to a vehicle
- Receive referrals to the program from community partners; NELHIN Home and Community Care, First Link Care Navigators, BSO
- Effectively participates in care conferences; assessments of clients and determine eligibility and appropriateness to the activation program; and support inter disciplinary team to implement the activation care plan
- Conduct in-house programs with clients as needed based on referral to LTC
- Follow established job routines on a daily basis;
- Ensures that care provided is documented as required in a timely manner using the assigned documentation tools.
- Provide education to families and/or in-home care providers regarding appropriate activities for the client.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the programming for the individual.
- Assist with transition from client’s home to long-term care homes as necessary.
- Provide education to a variety of target groups regarding activation for persons with dementia, which may include making public presentations.
- Act as a resource for inquiries from the general public regarding recreation/activation.
- Maintain program statistics and submit monthly.
- Contribute to internal and external communications.
- Adhere to program standards and Alzheimer Society policies and procedures.
- Assume responsibility for personal upgrading in knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease, and ongoing professional development.
- Participate in fund raising and other team development activities.
- Assume other functions as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bilingualism (English/French) is essential.
- Perform other duties consistent with the job classification, as required
· Post-secondary degree or diploma in Recreation Therapy or Personal Support Worker with recreation experience. Other health disciplines may be considered given appropriate combination of education and experience. Students in these disciplines are welcome to apply.
· Knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (ADRD).
· Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA) and UFirst Certification preferred
· Dementiability Montessori Training preferred
· Bilingual (French/English) required
• Valid Ontario Driver’s License
• Travel across Chapter District as required.
· No special physical demands are required beyond the performance of general office duties
· Significant periods sitting at the computer, but with the opportunity to move away from the work station
· Sensory attention is required for most of the work day (looking at computer screen, reading documents, etc.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements.
This position starts as soon as possible and will continue to the end of June with possible extension based on Ministry Funding
Please apply via email only to: Tracy Koskamp-Bergeron, Executive Director;